Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome is worth his weight in goals for Neil Adams
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Cameron Jerome is proving the doubters wrong for Neil Adams.
Norwich City's top gun took his tally to 11 goals this season in the second-half against Derby and could have claimed all three points when he rifled over in stoppage time.
Jerome may not have arrived at Carrow Road from Stoke in the summer with a reputation as a prolific scorer, but his signing was never a gamble for Adams.
'I wouldn't be disrespectful to say he has exceeded my expectations. I knew he could do this,' he said. 'The only question mark against Cam was his consistency because he has banged goals in for a lot of clubs and then had a dry spell or a dry season. I knew because I watched virtually all his games before we brought him in and Cam is power and pace, in addition to scoring goals, and he has shown that his season. He has been a great signing for us.'
Derby's Steve McClaren was the latest league rival to eulogise about the depth of Norwich's resources, but Adams insisted it was more important to attract and retain the right characters in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
'We have talented players, many of whom have played in the Premier League, but we have seen it many times that is no guarantee you will automatically compete,' he said. 'We kept the ones we did because they have the right attitude. If I didn't feel that we would have let them go.
'I think there are a few teams who have that depth. Derby haven't got bad players on the bench. They have a good squad. I know a lot has been made of our squad, probably because we came down from the Premier League, but there is also strength and depth elsewhere in this league. I don't see too many having to put 15 and 16 year olds on the bench.'
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low