Norwich City’s Russell Martin pulls out of Scotland squad through injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Defender Russell Martin has joined Norwich City's casualty list after pulling out of Scotland's World Cup qualifier away to Serbia.
A hamstring injury prevented Martin flying out from Glasgow Airport with the rest of the squad.
With winger Robert Snodgrass suspended after being sent off against Wales on Friday night, it leaves only defender Steven Whittaker in the Scots' party from the City trio originally selected.
The extent of Martin's injury is not clear, but it will be a concern for manager Chris Hughton ahead of Saturday's Premier League game away to Wigan Athletic and he will be keeping his fingers crossed that Whittaker, a potential alternative to Martin at right-back, comes through the international trip unscathed.
Martin has started 14 consecutive games in all competitions for the Canaries since the Boxing Day match against Chelsea.
Hughton is already without goalkeeper Mark Bunn, serving a one-match ban following his sending-off in the 1-1 draw at Sunderland, while winger Anthony Pilkington is unlikely to be ready to return after the hamstring problem he suffered in the 0-0 draw at home to Southampton earlier this month.
In addition, defender Ryan Bennett did not join up with England Under-21s for their two friendlies during the international break.
- 1 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 2 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 5 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 8 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 9 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
Midfielder Andrew Surman is out for rest of the season after a knee operation, but there was better news when Hughton said before the Sunderland trip that Alex Tettey should be fit to return against Wigan. Tettey has missed the past four games with a knee injury.