Norwich City’s preparations to step up after German goal-fest
Norwich City's pre-season campaign steps up a notch this week after a goal-laden training camp in Germany.
The Canaries followed up their midweek 8-0 win over Sparta Gottingen and RSV Gottingen with an 11-0 thrashing of a Nordhausen/Regional Select Xl on Saturday – having shaken off the cobwebs with a summer-opening 7-0 win over Ridgeons League Premier Division new boys Gorleston.
But while the goals have been flowing, manager Paul Lambert knows it is likely to be very different from now on when the standard of opposition rises.
It's three games – all away – in six days for the Canaries, who visit Championship side Crystal Palace Tuesday night (7.30pm), League Two Southend United on Thursday (7.30pm) and then Coventry City on Saturday (3pm).
Then it's continental opposition at Carrow Road, with Spanish La Liga side Real Zaragoza on Wednesday, August 3 (7.30pm) and Italian Serie A club Parma on Saturday, August 6 (3pm) – before the opening game of the Premier League campaign at Wigan Athletic on August 13.
The week in Germany was intended to increase fitness levels and help the newcomers to the squad integrate – and it would appear to have been a success.
The goals were shared around on Saturday with two for Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson with one apiece from Bradley Johnson, Steve Morison, Wes Hoolahan, Andrew Surman, Andrew Crofts, Aaron Wilbraham and Chris Martin.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
Summer signing Morison opened the scoring on 19 minutes, latching on to a Hoolahan pass before lifting the ball over the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.
A minute later it was 2-0, Hoolahan rounding the German stopper.
Midfielder Crofts made it 3-0 with a half-volley after the home defenders failed to clear a short corner and Wilbraham got the fourth three minutes later with a stunning 25-yard strike.
Surman then completed the first-half scoring after good work from Hoolahan and Wilbraham.
Lambert made 10 changes for the second half – but still the goals came.
Martin and Jackson scored in the 54th and 55th minutes before skipper Grant Holt got in on the act after a driving run and cross from Johnson in the 70th minute.
Jackson grabbed another five minutes later, Johnson made it 10 with five minutes with a left-footed free-kick from 20 yards before Holt finished it all off in the closing minutes, pouncing on a back pass to lob the keeper from 35 yards.
Lambert used 21 different players, with Adam Drury, Anthony Pilkington, James Vaughan and Marc Tierney not involved.
• Norwich City (first half): Ruddy, Francomb, Ward, De Laet, Lappin, Crofts, Fox, Hoolahan, Surman, Morison, Wilbraham.
• Norwich City (second half): Rudd, R Martin, Whitbread, Barnett, Lappin (De Laet), Johnson, Smith, Bennett, Jackson, C Martin, Holt.