Norwich City’s Nathan Redmond helps England’s Under-21s reach the 2015 European Championship finals
- Credit: PA
Norwich City midfielder Nathan Redmond played 85 minutes in England Under-21s' 2-1 Euro2015 U21 play-off, second leg win against Croatia's U21s in Vinkovci on Tuesday night.
Gareth Southgate's Young Lions booked their place in next summer's finals in the Czech Republic after a composed display in Eastern Europe to seal a record tenth consecutive win at this level. Leading 2-1 from the first leg at Molineux last week, Leicester City centre back Liam Moore was left unmarked to volley home Tom Carroll's early corner.
The Croatians' levelled prior to the interval with Marko Livaja rolled past England captain Jack Butland but Derby midfielder Will Hughes slotted a fine angled finish from 16 yards in the 73rd minute to seal a 4-2 aggregate success and qualify for a fifth successive tournament at under-21 level.
Redmond admitted prior to the first leg he had unfinished business at the European Championship finals after being part of Stuart Pearce's squad who failed to make it out of the group stage in Israel back in 2013.
'For me, Nat Chalobah, Jack Butland and the other lads still involved, the disappointment still hurts,' he said. 'It was a very strong group that I thought had a good chance of doing well. Unfortunately for us, we didn't do that well but I think personally I had quite a good trip and came back from that tournament with good confidence.
'We got quite bad press, that we didn't really care and that some of the players didn't want to be there but that wasn't the case. I just think that tournament wasn't for us.'
- 1 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 4 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 8 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 9 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 10 Fire crews called to vehicle blaze on A47