Norwich City’s Jonny Howson plays down international hopes
Jonny Howson believes John Ruddy's international involvement can inspire his Norwich City team-mates to do likewise, however hard it may be to achieve it.
The midfielder has made a big impression since his January move from Leeds to Carrow Road, where a number of players are now enjoying international recognition – including Ruddy, now a regular in Roy Hodgson's England squads.
'I'm sure if you perform well in this league you're not too far away, because there are a fair few new players getting a chance,' said Howson – still keen on downplaying his own international hopes.
'It's something I don't think about, but if we need to take inspiration here you look at John Ruddy. Last season he had a terrific season and was rewarded for that internationally. So if you are looking at that, he is someone you can look at.'
But while performing for Norwich might be enough, Howson admitted players at some of the Premier League's bigger hitters may find their path a little easier – a point arguably proven by Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, handed his first England call after just two top-flight starts.
You may also want to watch:
'If you're playing for the bigger teams, maybe you have got a bit more chance – not just looking at Norwich but even if you look at some of the players who have been doing well for Swansea,' added Howson. 'They've still not got a call. I'm not too sure, I don't pick the team. When you're not picking the team you can't do anything about it.
'From your own personal point of view you want to play well consistently because I think if you're doing that, the team is succeeding through it. Our minds seem to be on that.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000