Norwich City’s James Maddison is top of the Championship’s English charts
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's James Maddison is the top English player in the Championship - according to Sky Sports Power Rankings.
With the England squad recently announced – and composed entirely of players from Premier League clubs – the media organisation decided to take a look outside of the usual suspects and come up with an England team from the second tier.
Maddison has scored the joint-most goals of any English midfielder (12), the joint-most goals from outside the box (four), created the second-most chances from open play (62) and the third-most chances created from set-pieces (31).
The 21-year-old missed out on a place in Gareth Southgate's senior squad, although he was named in Adrian Boothroyd's Under-21s, along with his Carrow Road colleague, goalkeeper Angus Gunn.
Maddison's power ranking of 70,712 points was well ahead of Derby defender Curtis Davies (66,237) and Luke Freeman, of QPR, on 64,611.
The theoretical Championship England XI team – which is not necessarily their standing in the list – was made up of Aston Villa keeper Sam Johnstone, Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks, Davies, Sean Morrison (Cardiff), and Bristol City left-back Joe Bryan.
On the right wing is Brentford's Ollie Watkins, with Maddison in central midfield alongside Freeman, and Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon on the left flank. Hull's Jarrod Bowen and Bristol City's Bobby Reid were named in attack.
- 1 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 4 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 5 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 6 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 9 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
Gunn was 33rd on the list while former Canaries Jonny Howson and John Ruddy were 42nd and 43rd respectively.