Norwich City’s hat-trick hero Josh Murphy stars in 4-4 development league draw against Liverpool at Anfield
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's youngsters fought back from 3-0 down at half-time to secure a thrilling 4-4 draw against Liverpool's U21s in Monday's Premier League development clash at Anfield to secure a top six finish in the elite tier.
Jordan Williams, Ryan Kent and Cameron Brannagan combined to give the hosts a commanding 3-0 lead, but they were dragged back in the second period by the spirited visitors, with Josh Murphy scoring twice and Carlton Morris also hitting the target.
And, although it looked like Sheyi Ojo had got Liverpool off the hook when he converted a late penalty, there was more drama to come as Josh Murphy completed his hat-trick to secure a point for the 10-man visitors.
The Reds looked in control as the second half got under way but Norwich weren't finished and the fightback began on the hour mark with a well-worked goal.
Josh Murphy latched on to a beautifully weighted pass over the top and, after giving himself space with an excellent touch, he smashed home.
Moments later, a deflected cross from the left-hand side found the hosts' defenders on their heels and Morris was there to tap-in and bring the game back to life.
The comeback was complete when Josh Murphy latched on to the ball after his brother Jacob appeared to have wasted a one-on-one chance and tapped into the open net.
- 1 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 5 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 6 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 7 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 8 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
Liverpool regrouped and Ojo worked an opportunity to shoot after a fine break and, with keeper Remi Matthews beaten, Reece Hall-Johnson handled on the line to keep his team in it.
The referee pointed to the spot before sending the defender off and Ojo coolly despatched the penalty.
But still the visiting side would not relent, with Josh Murphy smashing home from a tight angle to secure a treble and level the game up.
• Liverpool: Ward; Randall, Maguire, Williams, Cleary, Stewart, Wilson, Brannagan, Yesil (Canos 68), Ojo, Kent. Subs not used: Vigouroux (GK), Trickett-Smith, O'Hanlon, Hart
• Norwich City: Matthews, Hall-Johnson, McFadden, Crowe, Efete, Grant (King, 45), Norman, McGrandles, Jacob Murphy, Josh Murphy, Morris. Subs not used: Killip (GK), Cantwell, Couzens, Ramsay.