Norwich City’s Grant Holt hits out at Setanta claims over Andrew Surman’s contract

Claims that Norwich City skipper Grant Holt is unhappy over a 'lucrative' new contract for one of his team-mates have been dismissed by the player and his agent.

Setanta Sports reported yesterday that top scorer Holt, whose future at Carrow Road has been uncertain since he handed the Canaries a transfer request five weeks ago, was 'irked' by Andrew Surman's new three-year deal, described by Setanta as worth �22,000 per week.

However, the striker's own comments on Twitter struck a different note as he congratulated Surman on his contract.

'Well done to Surs on his new deal,' he wrote. 'Well deserved, done great the last two years for Norwich, great lad too.'

Holt reinforced that opinion after the Setanta story appeared, saying: 'Where do these people get their information, did they not see my tweet yesterday?'

Holt's representative, Lee Payne, backed up that view yesterday when he said: 'We don't get ourselves involved in other players' deals.

'There is a comment on Grant's Twitter about Andrew Surman which is very, very complimentary.'

Most Read

The agent was reluctant to make any comment on Holt's contract situation, but it appears there has been no change in the two weeks since Chris Hughton was appointed City manager.

Holt submitted a transfer request on May 18, which was rejected by the club, and he reasserted his wish to move after Paul Lambert resigned as manager.

The 31-year-old is one year into a three-year contract with City, but had been hoping for an extra year on his existing deal.

Team-mates Russell Martin and Surman have both signed new three-year deals since Hughton's arrival.

'It is difficult to make any comment with Chris Hughton out of the country and I wouldn't want to comment either way until Chris is back,' said Payne.

Holt, with 70 goals in three seasons for City, has been linked with newly-promoted West Ham and Lambert's Aston Villa, with reports this week that the Hammers were prepared to make an improved bid of �5.5m.

On the day Hughton was appointed, City chairman Alan Bowkett urged Holt to rethink his transfer request.

'I think it is an opportunity for Grant and his agent to row back from a rather intractable position and have a sensible conversation with the football club,' he said at the time.

'Our door is open. We want him to stay, we want him to play for us and I think he would really enjoy playing for Chris.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter