Norwich City’s Alex Neil delivers a transfer reality check
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil insists Norwich must leave no stone unturned in their Premier League transfer quest.
The Canaries manager admits he would like to have added to the free transfer arrival of Youssouf Mulumbu and permanent deal for Graham Dorrans with less than a month to the new season.
City remain keen on Hull's Robbie Brady and were heavily linked with a move for Celta Vigo striker Joaquin Larrivey in recent before a proposed deal was shelved, but Neil is confident Norwich will snare their prime targets.
'I think as a manager, of course, you would always want to do business by this stage but there are certainly reasons behind why we have not done business,' he said. 'I would go as far as to say the reasons behind that are not due to us. We have tried our best to make things happen but it is always difficult when we are trying to get someone else's players because ultimately they are not ours at the moment.
'We are trying to add to the squad and make it better and that will continue to be the case. Certainly when teams are established in the Premier League and we are coming up again we are not quite at the same level as some of those other teams. That is natural. We can only do the best that we can with what we have.'
You may also want to watch:
Mulumbu may get his first Norwich outing since moving from West Brom on a free transfer in Tuesday's latest pre-season trip to Hitchin after missing the opening pre-season friendly win against Gorleston.
'We could see a few of them making an appearance,' said Neil. 'They are only a week behind the others so it is important we bring them back, but without risking injury. They need game-time but there is a balance to be struck. I think at this stage it will be the same approach in terms of playing two 45-minute teams and then we'll start upping the game-time.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 8 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000