Norwich City rumour mill: England youth international on trial following Newcastle release
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
England youth international Mackenzie Heaney has reportedly been on trial at Norwich City after his release from Newcastle United.
The creative midfielder, who can also play on either wing, spent time training with the Canaries last week according to north-east newspaper the Chronicle.
Heaney, 19, represented Scotland at schoolboy level before switching to his country of birth at under-16 and U17 level.
However, he has made just seven appearances for Newcastle's U23 squad this season and is expected to be allowed to leave this summer.
Heaney is represented by Triple S Sports, who represent Wayne Rooney, as well as City's loan keeper Angus Gunn – whose dad Bryan is director of talent recruitment at Triple S – having first played for Newcastle's U18 team as a 15-year-old.
The Chronicle suggest there is other EFL interest as Norwich weigh up an offer, with no compensation due as the Magpies did not make an improved contract offer.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 6 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 7 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 8 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 9 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 10 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich