Norwich City reserves impress Kenny Dalglish despite defeat at Liverpool
Liverpool Reserves 4, Norwich City Reserves 0: A youthful Norwich City second string came up against a strong Liverpool side at Melwood training ground yesterday – and ended up being well beaten in their latest Premier Reserve League fixture.
The hosts had the likes of Fabio Aurelio, Jonjo Shelvey and Sebastian Coates in their starting line-up and were too strong for the Canaries, whose cause wasn't helped by an injury to goalkeeper Remi Matthews.
With no substitute keeper on the bench City were forced to hand the gloves to young midfielder Dean Florence at the interval – and were always up against it as goals from Shelvey, Nathan Ecclestone (2) and Raheem Sterling settled the issue.
City named a youthful side, with first year pros Matt Ball and Josh Dawkin their most experienced players, and went behind after just seven minutes when Eccleston converted after some good work from Jon Flanagan, another of Liverpool's players with first team experience.
Ecclestone then rattled the crossbar before doubling Liverpool's advantage five minutes before the break when he tucked home Sterling's cross.
Jamar Loza, Ball and Jacob Murphy all had chances for the Canaries after the break but Sterling extended the hosts' lead to 3-0 with a fine finish past stand-in keeper Florence. Shelvey later made it four after another good finish from a Sterling pass.
Academy coach Neil Adams admitted it had been a tough afternoon for his young team but told the club's website: 'I spoke to Kenny Dalglish after the game and he complimented us on the performances from some of the players and I think that shows how well we did, given the composition of the opposition.'
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
Liverpool Res: Jones, Flanagan, Robinson, Coates, Wisdom, Coady, Sterling, Shelvey, Eccleston, Adorjan, Aurelio. Subs: Sama, Belford, Roddan, Brito E Silva, Ngoo.
City Res: Matthews, Florence, Toffolo, Clunan, Barker, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson, Brindley, Loza, Ball, Dawkin. Subs: McGeehan, Jacob Murphy, Josh Murphy, Peacock.