Norwich City old boy Peter Grant takes on Scottish U21 role
- Credit: M Straetemans/Sportsbeat Images
Former Norwich City player and manager Peter Grant has been named as Scotland Under-21s assistant coach.
Grant is currently a development coach at Championship Fulham but will also assist Scot Gemmill at this year's Toulon tournament and the qualifying campaign for the 2019 UEFA European U21 Championship.
Scotland's under-20s have been drawn in group C of the Toulon tournament, won by an England squad featuring Nathan Redmond last summer, against Czech Republic, Brazil and Indonesia.
'I was lucky enough to play for Scotland at youth level and for the senior squad and loved every minute of it so it is a great honour to be asked to help nurture the next generation of international players,' Grant told the Scottish FA official site. 'I would like to thank Fulham for their support in allowing me to perform this role. I am looking forward to meeting up with Scot and the rest of the team later this month as we prepare for the Toulon tournament.'
National youth coach Gemmill is relishing working with Grant.
'Peter is a highly-respected coach and will provide us with great experience ahead of an exciting and challenging period for our young players,' he added. 'I am looking forward to working with him in the coming months.'
Gemmill was recently in charge of Scotland's under-17s, featuring Norwich City's Glenn Middleton, that just missed out on a place in the last eight of the Uefa European U17 Championship in Croatia.
- 1 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 2 The homeless newlyweds who have lived in their car for a year
- 3 Family's heartache as dog dies after being hit by Amazon van
- 4 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 5 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 8 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 9 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 10 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
Gemmill will announce his squad for the Toulon tournament on Wednesday.