Norwich City old boy Luke Chadwick gears up to face first love Manchester United
- Credit: PA
Former Norwich City midfielder Luke Chadwick aims to be part of a magical FA Cup adventure on Friday night when hometown club Cambridge United bid to knock out his first love Manchester United.
Chadwick spent five years as part of Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils after emerging through the same youth ranks that produced the likes of David Beckham and Ryan Giggs.
The 34-year-old endured an injury-hit one-year spell at Norwich that limited him to 17 league appearances following a goalscoring debut in a derby defeat at Ipswich.
Chadwick is now a key part of the Us squad which will also feature Canaries' loanee Cameron McGeehan and former City centre-back Michael Turner in Friday's televised fourth-round tie at the Abbey Stadium.
'It's a real opportunity for the players in this squad to show how good they actually are,' he said. 'It's a real once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show the world what Cambridge United are capable of and it's something that we've got to grasp with both hands. I was at my mum's getting my hair cut when the draw was made and there were only two numbers on my mind – Cambridge United and Manchester United. It was utter bedlam in the house when the draw came out.'
Chadwick won a Premier League medal in 2001 alongside the likes of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes but the veteran does not expect too many familiar faces in Louis van Gaal's star-studded line up.
'Other than Giggsy, there's nobody in the team from my time there,' he told the FA's official site.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 5 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 6 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 7 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 8 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 9 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 10 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
'Darren Fletcher was coming through the ranks at the time. We're in a great position though as I'm sure everyone other than the Manchester United fans will be hoping that we can spring a surprise in front of the cameras.
'It's going to be a great occasion, a Friday night under the lights against Manchester United and live on BBC One. You couldn't ask for more really.'