Norwich City new boy Ryan Bennett in late Swansea U-turn
New Norwich City defender Ryan Bennett has revealed he was on his way for contract talks at Swansea before making his dramatic late move to Carrow Road on transfer deadline day.
The Swans had yet to agree a fee with Peterborough when City pounced for Bennett, who signed a three-and-a-half-year contract at Carrow Road late into the night.
The England Under-21 international said: 'Swansea were interested and I had to make my way down there because of the 11 o'clock deadline.
'I got near Windsor then got the phone call to turn around. That's football and it's something I had to deal with.'
The undisclosed fee paid by Norwich surpassed the record �2.5million Peterborough secured from Brighton for Craig Mackail-Smith last summer.
Bennett will also stay at London Road on loan until the end of this month while Posh boss Darren Ferguson looks for a replacement.
'I don't think it's sunk in yet really,'' Bennett added.
- 1 Major incident in city after reports of stabbing
- 2 Range Rover hit by train after straying onto level crossing
- 3 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside
- 4 Woman in 50s arrested after house sealed off in quiet street
- 5 Artist dies just weeks after Covid cancellation of psychiatrist appointment
- 6 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 7 Dereham coach firm closes after more than 50 years in business
- 8 Boatyard in 'prime position' in Norfolk Broads goes up for auction
- 9 Woman stabbed in neck and arm outside city pub
- 10 Afternoon tea at Norwich tea room named one of best in UK
'It feels like I'm still a Peterborough player and I'll continue to play as I have been and try not to think about the move I've got now.
'It's up to me to go out there and play well for the next month because a lot of people are going to be looking at me thinking 'Is his head there?' It's up to me to prove that it is.
'Peterborough is a club I've really come to love. But it's a move I couldn't turn down.
'I'm sad to go but it's something I had to do.''