Norwich City midfielder Wes Hoolahan in Republic of Ireland squad for World Cup qualifier
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Wes Hoolahan faces a trip to America to play Mexico next month in a warm up for the Republic of Ireland's World Cup qualifier at home to Austria on June 11.
Hoolahan has been included in a 37-man party announced by Martin O'Neill on Monday. The Republic will travel to New Jersey to play the Mexicans on June 1 before returning to Dublin for a final practice game at home to Uruguay on June 4.
The Republic will then host Austria seven days later in World Cup qualifying group D. O'Neill's men currently sit joint top on 11 points alongside Serbia in the race to reach the finals next summer in Russia.
The likes of Seamus Coleman (leg), Ciaran Clark (knee) and David Meyler (knee) are unavailable but there is a first senior call-up for Burnley defender Kevin Long.
A selection of players will report for a three-day training camp in Fota Island Resort on Tuesday, May 23 before the full squad links up in Dublin on Sunday, May 28. The squad will fly to New York on Monday, May 29 ahead of the international friendly against Mexico.
You may also want to watch:
'I wanted the game in America against Mexico. It will give us a chance to get the players on the pitch and work together,' said O'Neill. 'We want as much preparation as possible. The players have to come down from their season but we need to get it back up again.'
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 7 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 8 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
• Republic of Ireland squad
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Darren Randolph (West Ham United)
Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Andy Boyle (Preston North End), John Egan (Brentford), Marc Wilson (West Bromwich Albion), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Everton), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Darron Gibson (Sunderland), Liam Kelly (Reading), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen)
Forwards: Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United), Shane Long (Southampton), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen)