Norwich City midfielder Leroy Fer drafted into Dutch World Cup plans
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich midfielder Leroy Fer has been called up to the Holland squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Hungary and Turkey.
The 23-year-old replaces Swansea's Jonathan de Guzman (groin) and PSV Eindhoven's Stijn Schaars (knee) who have been forced to withdraw from Louis van Gaal's original squad following the weekend's league action.
Fer has made an impressive start to his Canaries' career following a summer switch from FC Twente. The midfield powerhouse featured for his country in the European Under-21 Championships prior to moving to England. His last senior international appearance came as a substitute in a 2-0 win over the Turks.
Holland have already qualified for Brazil next summer but complete their qualifying section at home to Hungary on Friday before facing Turkey away next week. Fer's Norwich team mate Ricky van Wolfswinkel was ommitted from van Gaal's latest squad with 19-year-old PSV forward Memphis Depay earning a debut call-up to the senior ranks.
Fer is the latest international call-up for the Canaries with Russell Martin and Robert Snodgrass on World Cup duty for Scotland. John Ruddy has joined up with the England squad on Monday for their crunch ties against Montenegro and Poland. Anthony Pilkington and Wes Hoolahan are in the Republic of Ireland squad for a trip to Germany and a Dublin return against Kazakhstan whilst Swedish pair Martin Olsson and Johan Elmander face a potential play-off decider in the same group against Austria and then a test against the table-topping Germans. Midfielder Alex Tettey has been recalled to the Norway squad for games against Slovenia and Iceland.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich also have a number of their younger players on representative duty. Nathan Redmond is in the England Under-21 set-up to face San Marino and Lithuania. Josh Murphy, Carlton Morris and Harry Toffolo are part of the England under-19s squad who have travelled to Slovenia for their European Under-19s Championship qualifiers against the hosts, Andorra and Switzerland.
FA Youth Cup winner Kyle Callan-McFadden is in Republic of Ireland's under-19s squad for their triple-header against Azerbaijan, Sweden and Bosnia & Herzegovina while Cameron McGeehan is in the frame for Northern Ireland's ties against Belgium, France and Iceland.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain