Norwich City midfielder Alex Tettey nominated for Norwegian football’s top individual award
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The influence of combative midfielder Alex Tettey for both Norwich City and Norway in the past year has been recognised with a nomination for Norwegian football's most prestigious individual trophy.
Tettey is among three nominees for the Gullballen award – the Golden Ball – alongside full-back Omar Elabdellaoui, who plays in Greece for Olympiakos, and women's football star Ada Hegerberg, who plays for French side Lyon.
'These are three strong candidates who have all excelled for both club and country throughout the year,' said Nils Johan Semb, head of football at the Norwegian FA and chairman of the jury.
'All three are worthy candidates for the Golden Ball 2015.'
Tettey joined the Canaries from Rennes in the summer of 2012 and has since made 104 appearances in all competitions, scoring four goals.
The 29-year-old stayed with City following relegation to the Championship in 2014 and helped achieve promotion via the Championship play-off final last season.
As well as featuring in 14 Premier League games this season the Ghana-born midfielder also played a key role in Norway's Euro 2016 qualification, scoring against Malta and Italy to help set up a play-off against Hungary, which was lost 3-1 on aggregate.
- 1 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 4 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 5 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 6 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 7 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 8 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
'Tettey plays regularly for Norwich in the Premier League and was one of our best players in the Euro 2016 qualifiers, where he also scored several fine goals,' Semb continued.
'Ada (Hegerberg) scored goals for fun for Lyon in France and is the top scorer in the Champions League. She contributed enormously to Lyon winning the double with her 26 goals in 21 games and was one of Norway's best players in this summer's World Cup.
'Omar (Elabdellaoui) has been consistently good for Olympiakos in the Champions League and in the domestic league where his team far ahead of their rivals.
'He's also been one of the most consistent performers on our national team and contributed well both offensively and defensively as a full-back.
'The trio all have in common the fact that they are players with good attitudes who are excellent representatives for Norwegian football.'
The award will be presented at the Sports Gala event in Lillehammer on Saturday, January 9.