Norwich City loan target Chuba Akpom on target for England U20s
- Credit: PA
Norwich City loan target Chuba Akpom scored for England Under-20s this evening.
The Arsenal youngster has been linked with a loan move to either City or Nottingham Forest but had international duty to focus on first.
The 19-year-old had fired a header just over the crossbar in a goalless first half, before Mexico took the lead early in the second half through Jose Ramirez at The Hive in Barnet.
Akpom then won a penalty with just over 10 minutes remaining, seeing the Mexico goalkeeper sent off, and converted the spot-kick himself.
He also hit the post in the 84th minute but had to settle for the one goal, taking his tally to four in seven matches for the U20s, as the match finished 1-1.
The match was then decided on penalties, with Akpom scoring as England won the shootout 4-2.
Norwich City youngster Harry Toffolo was an unused substitute but will hope to get a chance on Sunday (3pm), against the USA at Plymouth Argyle's Home Park stadium.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 3 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 4 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 5 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 6 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 7 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 8 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
The full-back, currently on loan at Swindon Town, has previously been capped once at U18 and three times at U19 level.