Norwich City legend Grant Holt brings an end to his time with Wigan Athletic
- Credit: PA
Norwich City legend Grant Holt has brought his disappointing spell with Wigan to an end.
The strapping centre-forward who scored 78 goals across four seasons to propel the Canaries to the Premier League has been unable to reproduce that magic with the Latics.
The 34-year-old has left Athletic club after coming to a mutual agreement to end his contract six months early, having made five appearances for them this season.
'Grant's career speaks for itself, and his experience has certainly been valued here at Wigan Athletic,' Latics boss Gary Caldwell told his club's website.
'In my time as manager, Grant has given nothing short of his all in training and in the matches he has played but, with competition for places fierce, both Grant and the club felt it was best he moved on to get the first team football he requires at this stage of his career.
'His knowledge of the game and ability has never been in question and I am sure he will have a lot to offer wherever his future takes him.
'We thank him for his service to the football club.'
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 5 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 6 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 7 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 8 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
Holt joined Wigan from City in a deal worth around £2miliion in the summer of 2013 and scored on his debut, a 4-0 win at Barnsley in the Championship.
He scored two further goals that season, one of which was while on loan back in the Premier League with Aston Villa and his former manager Paul Lambert.
Last season he went on loan to Huddersfield – making an emotional return to Carrow Road in a 5-0 defeat – but suffered a serious knee injury which ended his season in December.
After making his Wigan comeback in October last year, playing five games, a brief spell on loan in the Championship with Wolves followed but Holt is now free to find another club.