Norwich City Ladies see off Haringey to confirm place in second round
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies swept to an impressive 5-0 win over Haringey Ladies at Plantation Park to confirm their place in the second round of the FA WPL Plate competition.
From the start, Norwich in possession seemed edgy, but Haringey struggled to win or keep the ball. Norwich increasingly dominated possession and took the lead in the 13th minute thanks to a close range finish by Natasha Snelling.
Now looking much better in possession, Norwich continued to pressure Haringey and went close twice in quick succession.
With 30 minutes played, Haringey's defence was again breached as Charlotte Broad found the back of the net, low past the keeper.
The final 15 minutes produced chances for both teams, but the respective keepers were both up to the task, keeping the score at 2-0 at half-time.
In the second half, Norwich made a double substitution, Brooke Osborne on for Natasha Snelling and Laura Thacker for Emily Moerkerk.
With a tactical switch, Norwich began to put Haringey under increasing pressure and were rewarded on 56 minutes when Aimee Durrant met a cross at the back post to head home.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
Haringey used their only substitute just after the restart, Karen Nicholls replacing Eniola Ayoola in a defensive swap.
With frustration evident in the Haringey squad, a rash tackle earned Maddison Alexander a yellow card on 68 minutes. Three minutes later Haringey's Naomi Graham left the field thanks to a straight red.
After a pause in play, Norwich turned up the pressure and were rewarded when Aimee Durrant bagged her second and Norwich's fourth thanks to a left-footed strike from distance.
At the restart Julia Carruthers of Haringey picked up a yellow.
Norwich went all out to increase their advantage in the final minutes and did so when Laura Thacker met a cross with a superb first time strike, burying the ball into the net..
Norwich: Brogan, Goodfield, Ward, Parker, Diston, Durrant, Daviss (McDonald 89), Moerkerk (Thacker 46), Garrett, Snelling (Osborne 46), Broad. Subs not used: Coombes, Turner
Referee: Mary Harmer