Norwich City Ladies 2 Denham United Ladies 2: Canaries let two-goal lead slip through grasp
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies had to settle for a point in their South East Division One clash against Denham United after letting a two-goal lead slip.
From the off, the biggest challenge was the soft pitch conditions, but both teams settled well on a difficult playing surface.
Norwich started to dominate possession early on, taking the game to Denham, and this was rewarded on 16 minutes when Tash Snelling latched onto a through ball from Paige Shorten and finished calmly past Denham goalkeeper Gracie Perkis.
Norwich, buoyed by the goal, applied even more pressure and Aimee Durrant was denied a certain goal when Perkis got a hand to a vicious strike, turning it over the bar on 25 minutes. Denham came more into the game towards the end of the half but it was 1-0 at half-time to City.
For the first 10 minutes of the second half Denham edged Norwich but the home side dug in, remaining strong in defence.
You may also want to watch:
Denham made their first substitution on the hour, Celine O'Halloran on for Chloe Jarman and two minutes later Norwich substituted Kyla Love for Luka Goodfield.
With fresh legs on, Norwich took the game to Denham and they were rewarded on 70 minutes when Snelling scored her second.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 6 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 7 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 Man and woman found dead in home
- 10 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
Both teams made further substitutions, Denham bringing on Emma Kern for Hattie Kettle, Norwich Vivian Moyo on for Chelsea Garrett.
Denham started throwing everything at Norwich and they pulled a goal back when, from a corner, Allissa Down scored with six minutes remaining.
Denham continued to throw everyone forward and deep into extra time Sophie Cheadle won a one-on-one against Fiona Coombes, the Norwich keeper, to score Denham's second.
Norwich mounted a final push, as Moyo took on three Denham players and her superb strike from 25 yards went agonisingly wide. Norwich will now switch focus to the FA WPL Plate and prepare for next week's home fixture against MK Dons Ladies on Sunday at Plantation Park.
Norwich: Coombes, Goodfield (Love 62), Ward, McDonald, Parker, Daviss, Shorten, Durrant, Osborne, Snelling, Garrett (Moyo 78).
Referee: Tristen Watson