Norwich City mudlarks return to action with a four-goal haul at home
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies returned to action after a weekend off with a 4-1 win over Luton Town Ladies in the FA Women's National League.
From the off on a wet and muddy Plantation Park pitch, both teams laid down a marker with their attacking prowess with early opportunities falling at either end, without reward.
Although Luton were enjoying their fair share of possession and chances on goal, it was Norwich who broke the deadlock on 27 minutes, when Aimee Durrant's free-kick beat Kezia Hassall – the only goal of a frenetic 45 minutes of end-to-end attacking football.
The whistle had only just blown to signal the restart and Norwich doubled their lead, when Kathryn Stanley broke free, latched on to a loose ball and volleyed in from 18 yards.
Norwich now had the bit between their teeth and went close a few minutes later, as they attempted to put the game beyond Luton's reach.
But the visitors, with nothing to lose, rallied and they saw opportunities come and go without reward, due to a stoic Norwich defence and solid goalkeeping.
A series of Norwich substitutions during the middle of the half injected fresh legs and pace, with Kirstie Smith on for Summer Rogers, Abbi Tate on for Millie Daviss and Rosie George for Summer Ward.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 7 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 8 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 9 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
With the game moving into the final 10 minutes two of the newcomers made telling contributions, with Abbi Tate making it 3-0 before Rosie George added a fourth.
Despite this final onslaught on goal, Luton continued to press on the counter-attack and score a decent consolation in injury time, when Amy Summerfield beat Hope Armstrong.
With three points secured, Norwich will prepare for their final fixture of the first half of the season when they travel to Billericay on Sunday.
Norwich: Armstrong, Parker, Ward (George 76), Diston, McDonald, Daviss (Tate 71), Rogers (Smith 60), Durrant, Snelling, Stanley, Cook. Subs not used: Kennedy, Musson.
Luton: Hassall, Kosky, Ferris, McKay, Carter, Summerfield, Ryan, Carroll, Abraham (Butler 75), Manning, Byron. Subs not used: Stewart, Guest.
Ref: Matthew Hudson. Att: 65.