Norwich City Ladies 2 MK Dons Ladies 4: City knocked out of Plate despite encouraging display
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies were knocked out of the FA Women's Premier League Plate despite an encouraging performance at home in the third round against MK Dons.
It was the first chance for new manager Grant Palmer to take a look at his new charges and his side got off to the worst possible start as they fell behind after two minutes to a well taken goal by Heather McDonnell. Two minutes later and it got worse for the hosts as Sasha Newsome doubled the Dons' lead.
After surviving the next 10 minutes Norwich gradually began to settle and what followed was a period of equal possession and opportunities for both sides. As play moved into the final third of the first half Norwich stepped up a gear and were rewarded on 42 minutes when Chelsea Garrett beat two defenders and calmly struck the ball past Dons keeper Sophie Shults.
Norwich started the second half just where they left off and Jodie Drake levelled the scores with a well struck shot with just four minutes played.
Two early substitutions by Norwich followed as on 50 minutes Natasha Snelling came on for Millie Daviss and in the 57th minute Hayley Turner came on for Jodie Drake.
You may also want to watch:
Soon after the Norwich substitutions the Dons regained the lead. Charly Wright went clear on goal and turned the ball past Fiona Coombes to score Dons' third. Dons then made a couple substitutions and looked the fresher of the two sides culminating in Amelia Hazard scoring their fourth of the afternoon.
Two goals down but not out, Norwich pinned the Dons in their half for much of the final 10 minutes but Norwich just couldn't find the net.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 6 Water outages hit homes across city
- 7 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 8 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 9 People released from car after crash closes road
- 10 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
An agonising defeat but nonetheless an encouraging performance. Next up for City Ladies is an away fixture against Denham United Ladies in the league on Sunday, January 14.
Norwich: Coombes, Osborne, Goodfield, McDonald, Ward, Moerkerk, Durrant, Drake (Turner 57), Daviss (Snelling 50), Love, Garrett (Moyo 72), Subs not used: Brogan
MK Dons: Shults, Doyle, Holland (Lander 82), Wright (Duffy 65), Newsome, Naylor, Clark, Mallett, Hazard, Mills (Hughes 73), McDonnell Subs not used: Smith
Referee: Matt Newman