Norwich City Ladies 2 Luton Town Ladies 1: Ebony Wiseman double completes great escape for Canaries
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies completed the great escape on Sunday as Ebony Wiseman's winner gave the Canaries the three points they needed to ensure FA Women's Premier League Division One South East survival.
Going into the last week of the season City knew they needed maximum points against Lowestoft Town and Luton and they duly delivered.
Norwich cruised to a 4-2 win over Lowestoft Town on Wednesday night and followed this up with a 2-1 win over Luton Town at Plantation Park to leapfrog Stevenage, who have been relegated.
Norwich started nervously seeming somewhat edgy, perhaps the realisation that only a win would do weighing on their minds.
Early attacking momentum was Luton's with Norwich relying on occasional counter attacks when Luton lost possession although neither team capitalised on their opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
City goalkeeper Fiona Coombes managed to keep Norwich in the game thanks to a string of fine brave saves.
However, in the 28th minute Luton capitalised on some indecision in the Norwich defence to take the lead as Jessica McKay netted past a stranded Coombes.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 8 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
Norwich were out of the blocks quickly in the second half and it appeared the half-time team talk had struck a chord.
Just four minutes in Wiseman scored the equalizer thanks to a well place effort past Angelika Kopec, the Luton goalkeeper.
Norwich were now moving through the gears and struck again just before the hour mark.
It was Wiseman again as she met a low ball from Aimee Durant across the goal face and hit the back of the net.
Norwich brought off the injured Brooke Osborne on 79 minutes to be replaced by Ellen Swift, signalling a change of shape and late on Tash Snelling came on for Wiseman.
In the final 10 frantic minutes both teams had and missed chances, but at the whistle the final score was 2-1 to Norwich.
With back to back wins Norwich has secured the six points they needed and will be playing Division One South East football next season.
Norwich: Coombes, Wilson, Osborne (Swift 79), Radley, Daviss, Drake, Durrant, Shorten, Garrett, Wiseman (Snelling 83), Love. Subs not used: Moerkerk and Hartley
Luton: Kopec, Kosky, Webster (Summerfield 82), McKay, Carter, Brown, Henman, Carroll, Rutherford (Bellinger 66), Southby (Tape 75), Bryon
Referee: Matthew Newman