Norwich City Ladies 2 Enfield Town Ladies 4: City Ladies defeated in league opener
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies let a two-goal lead at home to Enfield Town in their FA Women's Premier League South East Division One opener.
Norwich laid down an early marker after three minutes when Natasha Snelling met a cross but she headed just over the bar.
After this scare Enfield began to settle, both teams sharing periods of possession but each failing to capitalise on chances.
Defensively both teams were up to the task.
The deadlock was broken however on 14 minutes, when Aimee Durrant headed past Kelly Cooper, the Enfield keeper at close range, registering the first of the day.
Spurred on by the goal Norwich increased the tempo and dominated possession, but failed to convert further chances in the half.
From the restart Norwich picked up where they left off and on 53 minutes Chelsea Garrett scored with a stunning strike from distance into the bottom corner of the Enfield net.
- 1 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 2 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 3 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 4 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 5 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 6 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 7 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 8 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 9 Fire crews called to vehicle blaze on A47
- 10 See inside 'characterful' townhouse with rural views on sale for £550k
Fortunes changed for the home side when Snelling was replaced by Paige Shorten and two minutes later Kyla Love was injured in a tackle to be replaced by Jordan Arnoup.
Norwich's pace of the first 15 minutes dropped off and Enfield saw more possession and got back on level terms with a quickfire double – Lisa Kline netting both past Fiona Coombes, the Norwich keeper.
Enfield won a penalty on 75 minutes when Coombes was adjudged to have made unreasonable contact in the box and Robyn Brown found the net from the spot.
Within two minutes Enfield scored a fourth, Aimra Martin chipping Coombes with a fine effort.
Norwich mounted a comeback in the final 10 minutes going close twice but went down to a 4-2 defeat.
The Canaries will be looking to bounce back when they entertain Haringey Women at Plantation Park on Sunday, August 27.
Norwich: Coombes, Goodfield, Osborne, Diston, Radley, Moerkerk, Durrant, Daviss, Garrett (Broad 75), Snelling (Shorten 55), Love (Arnoup 57) Subs not used: Brogan & McTiernan
Referee: Matt Newman