Norwich City ‘keeper John Ruddy overlooked for England squad
- Credit: PA
Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy has missed out on a recall to the England squad for the friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil.
But national team boss Roy Hodgson has included Reading keeper Alex McCarthy in his 22-man party.
McCarthy has impressed in goal for relegated Reading at the tail end of the season and the 23-year-old has been rewarded with his first senior call-up.
Ruddy made his first senior appearance in nearly six months for the Canaries in Sunday's 4-0 Premier League win over West Bromwich Albion, after being sidelined by a thigh injury that needed surgery. He won his first full England cap in the victory over Italy last August.
His opposite number in Sunday's game, Albion 'keeper Ben Foster, is in Hodgson's squad.
You may also want to watch:
Striker Andy Carroll, on loan at West Ham from Liverpool, has also been recalled for the games against Ireland at Wembley on May 29 and the trip to Brazil on June 2.
City pair Wes Hoolahan and Anthony Pilkington are both in the Ireland squad for the Wembley friendly.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
England squad: Foster (West Brom), Hart (Manchester City), McCarthy (Reading); Baines (Everton), Cahill (Chelsea), Cole (Chelsea), Jagielka (Everton), Johnson (Liverpool), Jones (Manchester United), Lescott (Manchester City), Walker (Tottenham); Carrick (Manchester United), Cleverley (Manchester United), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Manchester City), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Walcott (Arsenal); Carroll (West Ham, on loan from Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Sturridge (Liverpool), Welbeck (Manchester United).