Norwich City ‘keeper John Ruddy overlooked for England squad
- Credit: PA
Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy has missed out on a recall to the England squad for the friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil.
But national team boss Roy Hodgson has included Reading keeper Alex McCarthy in his 22-man party.
McCarthy has impressed in goal for relegated Reading at the tail end of the season and the 23-year-old has been rewarded with his first senior call-up.
Ruddy made his first senior appearance in nearly six months for the Canaries in Sunday's 4-0 Premier League win over West Bromwich Albion, after being sidelined by a thigh injury that needed surgery. He won his first full England cap in the victory over Italy last August.
His opposite number in Sunday's game, Albion 'keeper Ben Foster, is in Hodgson's squad.
Striker Andy Carroll, on loan at West Ham from Liverpool, has also been recalled for the games against Ireland at Wembley on May 29 and the trip to Brazil on June 2.
City pair Wes Hoolahan and Anthony Pilkington are both in the Ireland squad for the Wembley friendly.
- 1 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 4 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 5 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 6 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 7 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 8 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
England squad: Foster (West Brom), Hart (Manchester City), McCarthy (Reading); Baines (Everton), Cahill (Chelsea), Cole (Chelsea), Jagielka (Everton), Johnson (Liverpool), Jones (Manchester United), Lescott (Manchester City), Walker (Tottenham); Carrick (Manchester United), Cleverley (Manchester United), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Manchester City), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Walcott (Arsenal); Carroll (West Ham, on loan from Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Sturridge (Liverpool), Welbeck (Manchester United).