Norwich City keeper John Ruddy earns England call
Norwich stopper John Ruddy has been called up for England's squad for next week's friendly against Italy in Switzerland.
Ruddy is included in Roy Hodgson's Three Lions party for a swift re-match of this summer's European Championship quarter-final tie, which England lost on penalties. The City number one was ruled out of the tournament in Poland and the Ukraine after suffering a broken finger injury in training with the England squad following his initial call-up.
Ruddy is joined in the latest squad by Birmingham's highly-rated teenager Jack Butland and first choice Joe Hart.
Former City loanee Ryan Bertrand gets his first senior call in an experimental squad selected by Hodgson that also includes Tottenham duo Steven Caulker and Jake Livermore. Ruddy will join up with the national squad on Sunday evening after featuring in the Canaries' final pre-season friendly tomorrow against Borussia Monchengladbach. The England squad will train on Monday before travelling to Switzerland on Tuesday ahead of the match at the Stade de Suisse.
Ruddy's Norwich team mate, Steve Morison, was also called up to the Welsh squad on Friday lunchtime for their friendly on the same night against Bosnia-Herzegovina at Lanelli. Robert Snodgrass and Russell Martin complete the Norwich quartet on international duty next week after being selected for Scotland's friendly against Australia at Easter Road.
• England squad to play Italy in Berne, Switzerland.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City), Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Jake Livermore (Tottenham Hotspur), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).