Norwich City Ladies win final game to clinch promotion
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies completed an impressive double for the club at the weekend.
They beat visitors Colchester 1-0 in their final game of the season to secure second place in Division One North of the East League ahead of Bedford II, who had already completed their fixtures.
City started brightly, with some great runs from captain Jo Staines and Alice Gill, and were rewarded after 10 minutes when Staines found Abbie Ingham who slotted the ball away. There were some scares after that, but the hosts saw out the game to seal promotion.
City's men, who had already clinched promotion, won their final match at Havering 5-2. Chris Wardale led the way with a hat-trick while Stuart Wardale and Tom Cooke got the other goals.
In Premier A Harleston Magpies were beaten 3-0 at runners-up St Albans, a result that confirmed they would finish fifth in the table.
The defensive unit of Jonty Gosling, Leigh Sitch, Andrew Bedwell and Tom Sumner stood firm early on and John Livings made some excellent saves when called into action.
Harleston were unlucky not to steal the lead when youngster Jake Sewell smashed the ball into the D and only narrowly missed the diving Tim Whiteman.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 3 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 4 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 5 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 8 Flood alerts issued along the north Norfolk coast tomorrow morning
- 9 Investigation closed into fatal crash where car crashed into river
- 10 How region has been saved from hosepipe ban
In the second half Harleston were soon undone when a deflected long ball found an unmarked forward in the circle and he coolly finished. The home side soon made it 2-0 after capitalising on a misplaced aerial and completed the scoring from a short corner.
This was the last game for Archie Winter, Jonty Gosling, Sam Paterson and Sewell before heading off to university while Leigh Sitch is stepping down as captain following over 10 years at the helm.
In the Empresa Norfolk Women's League Premier Division Broadland won 8-0 at Evergreens in their penultimate game. Helen Brockington and star player Dani Parke both scored hat-tricks while Lydia Lawrence and Helen Harper were also on target.
In Division One Pelicans II won 4-1 at Harleston Magpies V to clinch the title and condemn their hosts to another season in the second flight. Diss beat UEA II 4-0 to move up to second but they will miss out on the second promotion spot if Broadland II win their final game at Carrow on Saturday.