Norwich City Ladies win final game to clinch promotion
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies completed an impressive double for the club at the weekend.
They beat visitors Colchester 1-0 in their final game of the season to secure second place in Division One North of the East League ahead of Bedford II, who had already completed their fixtures.
City started brightly, with some great runs from captain Jo Staines and Alice Gill, and were rewarded after 10 minutes when Staines found Abbie Ingham who slotted the ball away. There were some scares after that, but the hosts saw out the game to seal promotion.
City's men, who had already clinched promotion, won their final match at Havering 5-2. Chris Wardale led the way with a hat-trick while Stuart Wardale and Tom Cooke got the other goals.
In Premier A Harleston Magpies were beaten 3-0 at runners-up St Albans, a result that confirmed they would finish fifth in the table.
You may also want to watch:
The defensive unit of Jonty Gosling, Leigh Sitch, Andrew Bedwell and Tom Sumner stood firm early on and John Livings made some excellent saves when called into action.
Harleston were unlucky not to steal the lead when youngster Jake Sewell smashed the ball into the D and only narrowly missed the diving Tim Whiteman.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 4 Broadband down across Norfolk as Sky internet hit by issue
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 9 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
In the second half Harleston were soon undone when a deflected long ball found an unmarked forward in the circle and he coolly finished. The home side soon made it 2-0 after capitalising on a misplaced aerial and completed the scoring from a short corner.
This was the last game for Archie Winter, Jonty Gosling, Sam Paterson and Sewell before heading off to university while Leigh Sitch is stepping down as captain following over 10 years at the helm.
In the Empresa Norfolk Women's League Premier Division Broadland won 8-0 at Evergreens in their penultimate game. Helen Brockington and star player Dani Parke both scored hat-tricks while Lydia Lawrence and Helen Harper were also on target.
In Division One Pelicans II won 4-1 at Harleston Magpies V to clinch the title and condemn their hosts to another season in the second flight. Diss beat UEA II 4-0 to move up to second but they will miss out on the second promotion spot if Broadland II win their final game at Carrow on Saturday.