Norwich City hitman Cameron Jerome is Alex Neil’s man
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome will prove his critics wrong in the Championship.
Jerome's goal in the Canaries' 4-1 opening-day romp at Blackburn was a timely reminder with Alex Neil in the transfer market for fresh firepower. Neil tied the 29-year-old down to a longer term Carrow Road deal earlier this summer, and the Scot insists Jerome is a key part of City's promotion quest.
'To be fair Cameron deserves more credit than he gets at times. He scored 21 goals the year we were promoted and he was one of the main factors for us getting promotion,' said Neil. 'People underestimate that. Of course a lot will look at what happened last season and we simply didn't create as many chances, because it is a whole different level. Cameron got criticised more than most at times and for me it was unfair. I know what he is about and what he can bring to us. Strikers feed off goals, he got one (at Blackburn) and could potentially have had another. It is a good start for him and the team as a whole. There has been a lot made about the fact we are short of strikers, and I agree with that, but we scored four goals so that is not a bad start to the season.'
City's enviable squad depth was underlined by the notable list of absentees at Ewood Park.
'I didn't have Robbie Brady, the captain Russell Martin or Graham Dorrans. Sergi Canos and James Maddison were not on the bench as well and that shows just how strong a squad we have got,' said Neil. 'They are going to have to perform because if they don't then others will take their place. The competition for places is vital if you want to be a good team.
'Everyone can take a bit of confidence from the win but we have a tough game this week and we need to make sure we play as well if not better.
'The bottom line is we had 46 games at the start and our challenge is to win as many as we can.'
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 6 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 7 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 10 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development