Norwich City goalkeeping coach Dave Watson joins Southampton
- Credit: Action Images
Southampton have confirmed the appointment of England goalkeeping coach Dave Watson from Norwich City.
The Canaries confirmed Watson was in talks with the Saints yesterday and the Premier League club have today confirmed that Watson has joined new manager Ronald Koeman's backroom team.
Watson joins former Liverpool assistant manager Sammy Lee, who will serve as first-team assistant coach, and former Canaries first-team coach Martin Hunter.
Hunter, who was first-team coach at Carrow Road during both Nigel Worthington and Peter Grant's times as manager at City, is promoted to technical director after four years in charge of the Saints' development squad.
Executive director Les Reed, speaking to Southampton's website, said: 'I am extremely happy that we have been able to appoint three highly-respected and talented coaches to these important positions in our coaching structure.
'Sammy has a wealth of experience from his time with Liverpool and Bolton, as well as from his long association with the England team.
'He will work closely with Ronald, Erwin (Koeman) and Jan (Kluitenberg), and will play a big part in the day-to-day coaching of the first team.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 4 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 5 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 6 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 7 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 8 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 9 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 10 Where you can see the Battle of Britain memorial flypast today
'Despite his relatively young age, Dave has already built up an impressive CV and is regarded as one of the most talented goalkeeping coaches in Europe, and has only just returned from the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals.
'That we have been able to attract Sammy and Dave to Southampton is testament to our ambition to continue growing as a club, and shows our commitment to develop talented footballers at all age levels.
'In addition, Martin is one of the most highly-qualified coaches in the English game and, after a successful time in charge of our under-21s, he will now play a big part in how coaching is delivered right from the first team down through the academy.
'He will work closely with the first-team coaching staff, but will play a wider role in ensuring that our teams play in the Southampton way at all levels.'
Watson moved to Carrow Road in July 2012 as part of Chris Hughton's backroom team following a successful stint at Birmingham where he worked with the likes of Ben Foster, Jack Butland and Joe Hart.
Watson was also part of Roy Hodgson's England set-up and was part of the Three Lions' World Cup touring party in Brazil this summer.