Norwich City gem Wes Hoolahan needs to ration his magic dust
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Wes Hoolahan must put his trust in Alex Neil to keep starring in Norwich City's Championship promotion push.
Hoolahan made an early exit at Fulham with Neil mindful of unleashing his influential midfielder on Preston in the less frenetic surroundings of Carrow Road.
'I substituted him after 63 minutes at Fulham and the strange thing with Wes is he just doesn't want to come off. He still has to understand that he might be getting protected for the next one,' said Neil. 'He actually said to me after he came off, 'People are going to think I am a substitute.' I had to tell him, 'Wee man, you are 34, you don't need to worry about that anymore.' He is a key player for us in the way we play.
'I don't think every game is going to suit him, which is why we dropped him out at Newcastle because we went about it in a different fashion, but if he is on it and plays the way he can, especially at home, he is a key component.'
Hoolahan was part of a Blackpool side who won promotion under Simon Grayson and the Preston chief knows all about the creative danger posed by the Canaries on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
'They are as good as any team going forward, with major threats,' he said. 'They have some very talented players and it is the next test coming our way. We have to make sure we keep doing the things that have got us to where we are now.
'We have to stop the opposition from having an easy game, but ultimately cause the opposition problems. We are looking forward to it – the players are going there full of confidence, but they have to keep a level head and keep replicating the performances of late.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault