Norwich City forward Steven Naismith scores on his Scotland return
- Credit: PA
Steven Naismith scored on his return to the Scotland starting line-up this evening.
The Norwich City forward hadn't featured for his country since last summer but was on the score-sheet in Edinburgh during tonight's friendly against Canada.
Canada, who included former Canaries striker Simeon Jackson in their starting XI, stunned a low home crowd at Easter Road when Fraser Aird fired them in front in the 10th minute.
However the hosts rallied and, with former Norwich players Chris Martin and Robert Snodgrass also having chances, Naismith redirected a drive from Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney over the line from 12 yards in the 34th minute.
It was a seventh goal of the season for the 30-year-old, who played 62 minutes of a disappointing 1-1 draw with the team ranked 117th in the world, with his Norwich team-mate Russell Martin an unused substitute. The duo will now hope to feature again on Sunday in a World Cup qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, former Canaries winger Nathan Redmond made his full England debut, replacing Adam Lallana in the 66th minute with the score still 0-0 against Germany in Dortmund, only for Lukasz Podolski to lash home a stunning winner three minutes later in his final match before international retirement.
Earlier in the day there was also success for young Norwich winger Glenn Middleton, scoring his fourth goal in three games within the past week for Scotland Under-17s, to seal qualification for the Uefa European U17 Championships in Croatia this summer.
After his penalty sealed a 1-0 win over Switzerland the 17-year-old used his @Glenn_M22 Twitter account to say: 'Another great result for the boys today winning 1-0! Buzzing to get the goal again as well, can't wait for the finals in Croatia!!'
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat