Mourgos double earns City Under-23s a fine away win
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A first half double from Greek midfielder Savvas Mourgos earned Norwich City Under-23s an impressive 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion in Premier League Two.
In a match played at Kidderminster Harriers' Aggborough Stadium, Mourgos struck twice in seven minutes to settle a hard-fought encounter.
A City side lacking any players with first team experience got their noses in front on 24 minutes when Mourgos was fouled on the edge of the area and picked himself up to produce a glorious finish from the resultant free-kick.
The Canaries doubled their advantage just after the half hour mark when recent signing Simon Power sent in a low cross which was converted by Mourgos at the second attempt.
West Brom had the ball in the net twice before half-time, but both efforts were disallowed, and the hosts were unable to break down a determined City rearguard in the second half.
City: Oxborough, Aarons, Odusina, Wallis, Kamal, Mourgos, Payne, Aransibia, Power, Fonkeu, Abrahams, Subs: Ekumah, Hallett (GK), Barnes, Barkarson.
- 1 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 2 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 3 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 4 Is this Norfolk's quirkiest cafe?
- 5 Investigations continue after stabbing in town park
- 6 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 7 Norfolk recruiting police officers - but not those with 'offensive' tattoos
- 8 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 9 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 10 'The time has come' - Landlord of seaside pub retires after 50 years at helm