Norwich City Under-23s beaten 2-0 by Aston Villa in first league game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's Under-23s made a losing start to their Premier League Two campaign on Tuesday night when they went down 2-0 to Aston Villa.
In a match played at Walsall's Banks' Stadium, the Canaries were sunk by a goal in each half from striker Kelsey Mooney, with the second coming from a disputed penalty.
The Canaries more than held their own in the opening period, with striker Anthony Spyrou twice going close, and it was somewhat against the run of play when Villa went ahead on 37 minutes as Moore took advantage of some poor defending to fire home.
The decisive second goal midway through the second half was even tougher on City, with Ciaren Jones being penalised for the slightest of contact with Mooney, who picked himself up to score from the spot.
City pressed hard after that but were unable to find a way back into the game.
You may also want to watch:
City Under-23s: McCracken, Kamal, Odusina, Jones, Richards, Scully (Coley), Payne (Milovanovic), Aransibia, Power, Spyrou, Idah.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing