Norwich City Under-23s beaten 2-0 by Aston Villa in first league game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's Under-23s made a losing start to their Premier League Two campaign on Tuesday night when they went down 2-0 to Aston Villa.
In a match played at Walsall's Banks' Stadium, the Canaries were sunk by a goal in each half from striker Kelsey Mooney, with the second coming from a disputed penalty.
The Canaries more than held their own in the opening period, with striker Anthony Spyrou twice going close, and it was somewhat against the run of play when Villa went ahead on 37 minutes as Moore took advantage of some poor defending to fire home.
The decisive second goal midway through the second half was even tougher on City, with Ciaren Jones being penalised for the slightest of contact with Mooney, who picked himself up to score from the spot.
City pressed hard after that but were unable to find a way back into the game.
You may also want to watch:
City Under-23s: McCracken, Kamal, Odusina, Jones, Richards, Scully (Coley), Payne (Milovanovic), Aransibia, Power, Spyrou, Idah.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 5 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 9 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 10 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople