Norwich City transfer rumours: Leicester and Southampton make first bids for James Maddison
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Lt
The first big moves appear to have been made over James Maddison's future as a Norwich City player.
SunSport claim Southampton are on the brink of pulling off a major coup, with the first offer for the highly-rated midfielder.
But The Telegraph are reporting that Leicester City have bid around £20m, saying it was the 'first serious move'.
Maddison, 21, has also been linked with Spurs, Everton, Fulham and West Ham.
SunSport claims Southampton have been given permission to speak to Maddison after meeting City's valuation for the midfielder.
You may also want to watch:
They claim the offer is £20m-plus and that Southampton had been involved in '48 hours of tough negotiations' with the Canaries.
Whoever is in the driving seat it does look like months of speculation over Maddison's future, after his stock rose dramatically after his first full season in the Championship, could be reaching a climax.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 6 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 9 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
And if there are two clubs with serious bids in, then City will perhaps have just what they wanted as they prepare for Maddison's inevitable departure – a bidding war.
Signed from Coventry in February, 2016, Maddison was immediately loaned back to the Sky Blues for the remainder of the season and then spent a season in Scotland with Aberdeen.
Maddison signed a new deal last summer, taking him up to 2021, and started 42 league games for City last season, ending as top scorer with 14 goals and taking away the coveted Player of the Season award.