Norwich City fans react to fun of an emotional 4-0 victory over QPR on the final day of the campaign
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been enjoying a fun final day of the season, with long-serving goalkeeper playing his final match in a 4-0 win over QPR at Carrow Road which saw Wes Hoolahan score twice and set up the other two goals.
Ahead of kick-off Hoolahan won the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy for the first time in his nine seasons at Carrow Road, holding off the challenge of runner-up Jonny Howson and third-placed Ivo Pinto in the public vote.
The Irishman then continued his celebratory day, when there was nothing to play for but mid-table positions for either side, by opening the scoring in the 22nd minute.
The playmaker cut on to his left foot on the edge of the box and lashed a low shot into the bottom-right corner, with the help of a very slight deflection off the thigh of QPR defender Nedum Onuoha, which Alex Smithies couldn't keep out.
Hoolahan then teed up Alex Pritchard to volley home for 2-0 in the 60th minute and claimed a second assist when putting Josh Murphy through to lash home for 3-0 from close range.
An excellent day was then topped off for the 34-year-old when Cameron Jerome unselfishly cut back to allow him to fire home the fourth from near the penalty spot in added time.
You may also want to watch:
The match was followed by a 'lap of appreciation' to allow the City squad to thank fans for their support.
Read some of the reaction above and see the links below for more.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder