Norwich City fans react to fun of an emotional 4-0 victory over QPR on the final day of the campaign
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been enjoying a fun final day of the season, with long-serving goalkeeper playing his final match in a 4-0 win over QPR at Carrow Road which saw Wes Hoolahan score twice and set up the other two goals.
Ahead of kick-off Hoolahan won the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy for the first time in his nine seasons at Carrow Road, holding off the challenge of runner-up Jonny Howson and third-placed Ivo Pinto in the public vote.
The Irishman then continued his celebratory day, when there was nothing to play for but mid-table positions for either side, by opening the scoring in the 22nd minute.
The playmaker cut on to his left foot on the edge of the box and lashed a low shot into the bottom-right corner, with the help of a very slight deflection off the thigh of QPR defender Nedum Onuoha, which Alex Smithies couldn't keep out.
Hoolahan then teed up Alex Pritchard to volley home for 2-0 in the 60th minute and claimed a second assist when putting Josh Murphy through to lash home for 3-0 from close range.
An excellent day was then topped off for the 34-year-old when Cameron Jerome unselfishly cut back to allow him to fire home the fourth from near the penalty spot in added time.
The match was followed by a 'lap of appreciation' to allow the City squad to thank fans for their support.
Read some of the reaction above and see the links below for more.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 4 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 5 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 6 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 7 Come and meet the animals you could adopt at RSPCA open day
- 8 Thieves run off with alcohol worth nearly £5,000 from Tesco
- 9 New 250-space car park could be created near picturesque Norfolk harbour
- 10 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish