Norwich City fan Richard Bland: A letter from America
- Credit: Eastern Counties Newspapers
Believe it or not, this it my 19th pre-season tour following Norwich City.
I recall my first trip to Sweden when I was the only UK-based Canary to travel. I got the ferry from Harwich to Gothenburg then drove to Stockholm and camped for 10 days to all four games. That still remains my favourite trip, but it all seems a far cry from then to this one.
I would say coming over to the USA is probably on the same lines as the Malaysian tour in 2004, which attracted more than 300 fans from home.
The interest is there but it is very expensive to follow the club out here, so I expect the numbers to be slightly down on that.
There is also the Portugal trip when we get back and I'm sure a fair number of City fans will make a long weekend of it.
For me personally, if I had to pick one USA tour match out here it would be Earthquakes as we have the Darren Huckerby connection.
I've come over with four other fans and we are basing ourselves in San Francisco before heading north to Portland.
- 1 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 4 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 5 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 6 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 7 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 8 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 9 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 10 City weigh up Hugill's next move
The plan away from the football is to watch a San Francisco Giants baseball game and maybe visit some of the sights like Alcatraz and Pier 39, but there won't be much time for sight-seeing with the travelling.