Norwich City face FA charge over Cardiff City disallowed goal spat in 0-0 Premier League stalemate

Norwich City midfielder Leroy Fer is surrounded by angry Cardiff City players afer rolling into an empty net in stoppage...

Norwich City midfielder Leroy Fer is surrounded by angry Cardiff City players afer rolling into an empty net in stoppage time of the 0-0 Premier League draw at Carrow Road. Picture by Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Norwich City and Cardiff City have both been charged by the FA with failing to control their players following the melee sparked by Leroy Fer's controversial disallowed goal in last weekend's 0-0 Premier League draw.

Both have until 6pm on Monday, November 4 to respond officially to the charge after the FA confirmed in a statement on their site on Thursday morning the two clubs had been charged with failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion. Fer's decision to roll the ball into an empty net at Carrow Road after Cardiff keeper David Marshall had originally put the ball out of play in stoppage time for injured Norwich midfielder Alex Tettey to receive attention sparked an angry response from the Bluebirds' players. Referee Mike Jones ordered the throw-in to be re-taken after appearing to indicate he had not blown his whistle to start play again. Cardiff manager Malky Mackay questioned Fer's sportsmanship during his post-match interview, but stated Chris Hughton and his assistant Colin Calderwood had offered to let the visitors score if the official had allowed the goal.

Hughton denied there had been any such conversation directly with Mackay at his pre-match press conference prior to the midweek Capital One Cup defeat at Manchester United, but confirmed Fer had been made aware his actions were unacceptable.

'I think with Leroy, he is a young lad who has played his football in a different country and a different environment and I think he just got caught up in the moment,' said Hughton on Monday. 'It was a fairly frustrating day for us and a game we should and could have won reasonably comfortably if we had converted the amount of efforts we had at goal. There was a little bit of frustration at that stage of the game but he just got carried away. There is no need for me to speak to the team generally on that subject. He is an honest lad and Leroy spoke very honestly and openly after the game. He has certainly been made aware of what we do in this country in those type of circumstances, but he is an honest lad.

'I never saw the referee (after the game). I am waiting for the referee's reports. He made his decision, I had no problem with that and we move on. The referee's take on it or at least my understanding of it is that he was still dealing with the Alex Tettey injury situation when the throw-in was taken. I have spoken to the assessor but not the referee and that is the understanding I have.'