Norwich City face a step up in class against Champions League hopefuls Real Sociedad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City play their first home friendly of the summer this evening when they take on Spanish outfit Real Sociedad (7.45pm).
The match will provide most City fans with their first chance to run the rule over Chris Hughton's summer signings, with Ricky van Wolfswinkel, Gary Hooper, Leroy Fer, Nathan Redmond and Martin Olsson all set for Norwich home debuts at Carrow Road.
The City boss has been pleased with his side's preparations so far, even though they have failed to win since seeing off Mexican side Dorados de Sinaloa 3-0 in the opening match of their US Tour. Since then the Canaries have twice lost 1-0 to MLS sides before drawing games at Brighton (1-1) and Portuguese outfit Sporting Braga (2-2) with a mixed side containing the likes of Wes Hoolahan also losing 1-0 at Cambridge United last week.
Real Sociedad head to Carrow Road this evening looking to step up their preparations for a Champions League qualifying tie ahead of their La Liga campaign.
New boss Jagoba Arraste's talented young squad edged out Valencia on the final day of the last Spanish league season to finish fourth and earn a shot at the lucrative Champions League group stages. La Real will find out their two-legged opponents later this week, but could be drawn against the likes of Arsenal or Inter Milan.
You may also want to watch:
The 34-year-old Arraste succeeded Philippe Montanier this summer after Montanier opted for a return to French club football. Sociedad have also lost one of their best young players with Spanish Under-21 European Championship winner Asier Illarramendi moving to Real Madrid in a reported £32.2m six-year deal.
The Basques still have highly-rated youngsters in Antoine Griezmann and Inigo Martinez who graduated from the club's famed Zubieta training academy, along with ex-Gunners' forward Carlos Vela and Chile's experienced international keeper Claudio Bravo. City left-back Javier Garrido is another youth product of the San Sebastien club.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
Sociedad opened their English tour with an 8-1 behind-closed-doors friendly win at non league Histon. Arraste's squad set up a training base in Colchester prior to facing the Canaries, before wrapping up their trip at Premier League rivals Southampton this weekend.
Tickets for tonight's game are priced at £15 for adults, £10 for over-65s, £5 for Under-17s and £1 for under-12s.