Norwich City duo Russell Martin and Steven Naismith earn Scotland call ups; Wes Hoolahan in Republic of Ireland set-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City captain Russell Martin and Steven Naismith are in the Scotland squad for upcoming games against Canada and Slovenia, with club mate Wes Hoolahan in the Republic of Ireland's provisional squad.
The duo were named in Gordon Strachan's 30-man party on Monday but there was no place for Canaries' team mate Steven Whittaker, who returned to the City first on Saturday after Mitchell Dijks was sent-off in the 2-2 Championship draw against Blackburn.
Wes Hoolahan is in a provisional 39-man squad for the Republic of Ireland's World Cup 2018 qualifier against Wales in Dublin on March 24 and a friendly against Iceland on March 28.
Scotland face a make-or-break World Cup 2018 qualifier against second-placed Slovenia at Hampden Park on March 26 and warm up for that tie with a friendly against the Canadians at Hibs' Easter Road on March 22.
Strachan's side have picked up four points from four games to lie four points behind the Slovenians with England topping the Group F on 10 points.
You may also want to watch:
Fulham's Tom Cairney, widely regarded as one of the stand-out performers in the second tier this season, gets his first call-up after making six appearances at Under-21 level.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed