Norwich City duo book Under-21s victory over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane
- Credit: Archant © 2012
Norwich City's Under-21 development side secured an excellent 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Monday night.
A goal in each half from Jamar Loza and Jacob Murphy respectively did the damage, rendering Lewis Holtby's late effort as a mere consolation. The result was an ideal response following two defeats since an opening day 4-1 win over Stoke City.
Ricky Martin named a selection of Under-18s players in the team with Carlton Morris, Josh Murphy, Harry Toffolo, Kyle McFadden and Cameron King all away on international duty. Meanwhile a strong Spurs side included Germany midfielder Holtby and striker Simon Dawkins, who had a spell on loan at Aston Villa last season.
The home team pressed in the early stages, with Laste Dombaxe firing a free-kick wide from 25 yards and Alex McQueen providing a threat down the right.
However, after Holtby shot wide for the hosts, Norwich took the lead on 35 minutes with Murphy crossing for Loza, who made no mistake with a first-time shot.
Dombaxe had an effort ruled out for offside soon after the break, before Shaq Coulthirst just failed to meet McQueen's cross.Then City doubled their advantage as Loza this time crossed for Murphy, who finished clinically.
Spurs tried to forge a path back into the game and Remi Matthews tipped over a Dombaxe free-kick before Holtby slotted home Spurs' consolation with five minutes left.
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 9 Ambulance trust spends £20k of 'Captain Tom money' on pin badges and dogs
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
• Spurs: Miles, A McQueen, Ward (Gallifuoco 64), Veljkovic, Ball, Stewart, Dombaxe, Bentaleb, Coulthirst, Holtby, Dawkins. Subs not used: Lameiras, D McQueen; Goal: Lewis Holtby (85).
• City: Matthews; Norman, McNeil, Gafaiti, Barker; Hodd, McGeehan; Jacob Murphy, Eaton-Collins, Hall-Johnson; Loza. Subs not used: Oxborough, Randall, Heath, Grant, Efete; Goals: Loza (35), Murphy (58).