Norwich City duo book Under-21s victory over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane
- Credit: Archant © 2012
Norwich City's Under-21 development side secured an excellent 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Monday night.
A goal in each half from Jamar Loza and Jacob Murphy respectively did the damage, rendering Lewis Holtby's late effort as a mere consolation. The result was an ideal response following two defeats since an opening day 4-1 win over Stoke City.
Ricky Martin named a selection of Under-18s players in the team with Carlton Morris, Josh Murphy, Harry Toffolo, Kyle McFadden and Cameron King all away on international duty. Meanwhile a strong Spurs side included Germany midfielder Holtby and striker Simon Dawkins, who had a spell on loan at Aston Villa last season.
The home team pressed in the early stages, with Laste Dombaxe firing a free-kick wide from 25 yards and Alex McQueen providing a threat down the right.
However, after Holtby shot wide for the hosts, Norwich took the lead on 35 minutes with Murphy crossing for Loza, who made no mistake with a first-time shot.
You may also want to watch:
Dombaxe had an effort ruled out for offside soon after the break, before Shaq Coulthirst just failed to meet McQueen's cross.Then City doubled their advantage as Loza this time crossed for Murphy, who finished clinically.
Spurs tried to forge a path back into the game and Remi Matthews tipped over a Dombaxe free-kick before Holtby slotted home Spurs' consolation with five minutes left.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
• Spurs: Miles, A McQueen, Ward (Gallifuoco 64), Veljkovic, Ball, Stewart, Dombaxe, Bentaleb, Coulthirst, Holtby, Dawkins. Subs not used: Lameiras, D McQueen; Goal: Lewis Holtby (85).
• City: Matthews; Norman, McNeil, Gafaiti, Barker; Hodd, McGeehan; Jacob Murphy, Eaton-Collins, Hall-Johnson; Loza. Subs not used: Oxborough, Randall, Heath, Grant, Efete; Goals: Loza (35), Murphy (58).