Norwich City defender Martin withdrawn with calf injury
Norwich boss Paul Lambert revealed defender Russell Martin aggravated a calf injury during the warm up of today's final pre-season 3-0 win over Parma at Carrow Road.
Martin was initially named in the starting XI on the team sheet but Kyle Naughton emerged from the tunnel to take his place at right back.
Scottish international Martin picked up the slight injury in the midweek friendly against Real Zaragoza - but Lambert hopes a full week of treatment will ensure the defender available is the Premier League curtain raiser at Wigan.
'Well, he got a bang on his calf there the other night so we tried it but he has felt it again a little bit,' said Lambert. 'We'll see how he is the rest of the week.'
Midfielder Andrew Crofts was the other notable injury absentee after again sitting out the action with an ankle injury picked up last weekend at Coventry. Crofts is now set to withdraw from the Welsh squad for this week's forthcoming friendly against Australia in Cardiff.
You may also want to watch:
'Hopefully he's going to be okay (for Wigan),' said Lambert. 'There's a little bit of puffiness there so we'll see how he does in the week.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed