Norwich City defender Martin Olsson poised to undergo shoulder surgery after the Premier League season
- Credit: Tom Smith/Focus Images Limited
Norwich City defender Martin Olsson has pulled out of Sweden's midweek friendly against Turkey with a shoulder injury that will require surgery in the summer.
Olsson has established himself in the Canaries' backline this season following his move from Blackburn and played the full 90 minutes in Sunday's 4-1 Premier League defeat at Aston Villa.
The 25-year-old, however, will remain in Norfolk this week for further treatment on a shoulder problem he aggravated at Villa Park rather than link up with his country. Sweden have friendlies scheduled for May and June but national coach Erik Hamrén revealed on Monday Olsson will be missing to undergo surgery immediately after the Premier League season concludes in mid-May.
'He will undergo surgery later,' Hamrén told expressen.se. 'He has a problem which became worse yesterday. Norwich want him to remain with the club to get treatment and have as much chance as possible to be able to complete the season.'
Meanwhile, Olsson's City team-mate John Ruddy was one of five England players who sat out training on Monday morning ahead of the Wembley friendly against Denmark.
You may also want to watch:
Ruddy was on duty on Sunday afternoon at Villa and instead underwent an indoor recovery session near Tottenham's training base where Roy Hodgson's squad is preparing along with Kyle Walker, Andros Townsend, Adam Lallana and Steven Caulker.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival