Norwich City confirm Nelson Oliveira signing
Norwich City have officially confirmed Nelson Oliveira has completed a move from Benfica for an undisclosed fee.
The 25-year-old Portuguese international has signed a four year deal, subject to approval from the relevant football authorities.
'I am very happy and feel very excited about scoring in our great stadium,' he said. 'I spoke to Ivo (Pinto) and he told me great things about the yellow fans. He's a nice guy who I know from Portugal Under-19s and Under-21s so that makes it easier for me.
'It's a good opportunity to show my ability at a great club that trusts in me. I can promise that I will work hard and do my best to help the team.'
City chief executive Jez Moxey, speaking to the club's official site, labelled the signing a 'substantial' deal.
'We're delighted to have concluded this deal to bring Nelson Oliveira to Norwich City,' he told the club's official site. 'It's a substantial deal for a quality striker who will significantly strengthen our attacking options as we strive towards a successful season - but in an environment where vastly inflated transfer fees and other costs are being quoted and paid for players, especially strikers, we also believe this is a shrewd and sensible transfer for our club at this time.'
Canaries' boss Alex Neil had already made it clear prior to last weekend's Championship defeat at Birmingham City that Oliveira has the quality to make his mark at Carrow Road.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 5 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 6 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 7 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 8 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 9 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 10 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
'It's a great signing for us because he's a very good player technically,' he said. 'He'll be a creator of goals as well as a scorer of them. Having been at Benfica, there's no questioning his quality and he's played with some top players. Nelson now needs to go somewhere and establish himself and this is the perfect place for him to do that.'