Norwich City chief executive McNally hits out at Burnley over Lambert bid

Canaries chief executive David McNally says Burnley were 'unprofessional' in revealing their pursuit of Paul Lambert and says there was 'never ever' any chance that he would move to Turf Moor.

McNally, speaking on BBC Radio Norfolk, explained the events of late last week, which started when Burnley made their official approach.

'I was alerted by Joe Ferrari, head of media, that Burnley, for some bizarre, very difficult to explain reason, decided to put it on their web site that they had asked for permission to speak to Paul about their vacancy, so that really was unusual, unexpected and I have to say unprofessional of them. It meant we had to get something out to say that we would absolutely make certain that Paul Lambert stayed manager of Norwich City and he was certainly not going to Burnley, there was no question of that.'

McNally said Lambert did not talk about the approach, and City's refusal, at the following morning's press conference because he wanted to focus on Saturday's FA Cup tie.

'He was very happy as he said at the press conference with the lines that the club came out with and if you listen back to the recording he said so, and quite rightly. He wanted to use the 15, 20 minutes of the press conference to talk about all things Leyton Orient and this very important match that we have today and did not want to focus on needless speculation about a club he was not about to go and join, so quite rightly he avoided that.'

McNally said that nothing had changed in the manager's contract as a result of last week's event – and nor had the agreed player budget.

Burnley chairman Barry Kilby responded by insisting he had acted in the proper manner in his attempt to speak to Lambert.

Most Read

In a statement Kilby said Lambert was simply the first name on their list.

'I would like to stress to supporters that Paul Lambert was only one of a number of targets we would like to interview for the post of Burnley manager,' he said. 'There are other targets, but someone had to be the first and Paul was already in employment, so we acted through the proper channels and made a formal enquiry to speak to Paul.

'Obviously this was refused and we respect Paul and Norwich's decision and now we move on to the other persons on the shortlist.

'There were half a dozen names on our shortlist and the task starts again tomorrow morning.

'I do think the situation needs to be resolved as quickly as we can, but we cannot let that be the overriding factor.

'It is about appointing the right man for the job to take this club forward.'

Burnley's other targets are believed to include Watford's former Norwich defender Malky Mackay, former Chelsea assistant Steve Clarke, St Johnstone's Derek McInnes and Bournemouth's Eddie Howe.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter