Norwich City chief Alex Neil gears up for a final transfer push
- Credit: Steve Adams
Alex Neil is targeting a final flourish to cap a productive January transfer window for Norwich City.
Neil revealed at Colney on Friday he would like to do 'a couple of bits of business' in the final throes of the window to add to the permanent deal for Matt Jarvis and signings of Ivo Pinto, Ben Godfrey, Steven Naismith and Timm Klose.
The Scot, however, admitted a swoop for FC Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller is unlikely after meeting the player and his advisors last week on a flying visit to Colney. Haller's representative was later quoted in the French media claiming his client is keen to play European club football.
'The one thing that surprises me is if he wants to play European football that is probably equating to the Europa League, and we are all aware the Premier League is bigger than the Europa League,' said Neil. 'So if he comes here and scores goals in the Premier League I don't think it would matter whether you are in the Europa League because your stock would go a hell of a lot higher than if you score a few goals in the Europa League on a Thursday night.
'At the end of the day it is their decision to make to. I spoke to the player and everyone has their own set of circumstances and wants certain boxes to be ticked.
'There are still a couple of bits of business we would like to conclude before the window but the situation we find ourselves in now is a really healthy one. We brought four senior boys in between the start and now and we are looking to conclude a couple of bits of business over the last 10 days or so. That is a great situation to be in.'
Gary Hooper completed his exit to Sheffield Wednesday late on Friday morning, but the likes of Kyle Lafferty or Steven Whittaker are not set to follow suit anytime soon after being touted with possible departures.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 8 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 9 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 10 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
'With Kyle there is nothing happening on that front. I haven't spoken to anyone from Leeds about Kyle in a good week,' said Neil. 'Regards someone like Steven I think people make assumptions. Steven has not been featuring in recent weeks, Russell (Martin) has been occupying that position at right-back, Andre Wisdom played a few games there and before him Steven had that position at the start of the season and now Pinto have come in the door. People are making assumptions that something has to give.'