Norwich City captain Russell Martin aims to inflict more derby misery on Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Memories are made of special derby tussles against Ipswich, insists Norwich City captain Russell Martin.
The Canaries' defender has an unblemished derby record against Town, and scored in the 5-1 rout at Portman Road back in 2011 towards the end of the Championship promotion-winning campaign. Martin predicts another ferocious contest on Sunday at Carrow Road, with pride and precious points at stake for both in their Premier League quest.
'In terms of the atmosphere and what it means locally people remember these games for a long time, so they are big moments in your career,' he said. 'Those two games last time we were in this league are still spoken about today and the importance of this one, in terms of where we both are in the table, means it will live in the memory. Both of us are fighting for the same thing.
'I think scoring at Portman Road would be my favourite memory. To score down there was brilliant and that was one of our best performances of the season, but there was also the derby at our place when Holty (Grant Holt) got his goals that season.'
Martin insists City aim to prolong their dominance of recent derby dust-ups.
You may also want to watch:
'It always carries a bit of added spice for the fans and it means so much to the football club. For us we have to approach it as another game but be aware of that importance,' he said. 'Every one I have played in have been a good atmosphere and fortunately some good performances and results. All the lads are looking forward to it.
'The manager brought up how much the fans want to win it and that we need to carry on our run, which makes it a little bit more interesting for outsiders. We need to win this game, simple as that, but we know there will be plenty of excitement and we will try to get one over them for our fans.'
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 7 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 8 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 9 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 10 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000