Norwich City boss Neil Adams has only one World Cup wish
- Credit: AP
Neil Adams' one World Cup wish is to see his Dutch international midfielder Leroy Fer return home unscathed.
The 24-year-old's goalscoring bow in the group stage win over Chile came at a cost when he was ruled out of the last 16 win over Mexico with a hamstring injury.
Fer is expected to miss Saturday's quarter-final against Costa Rica but Adams is confident there will be no lasting impact on City's pre-season build up.
'Our physios are speaking to the Dutch physios and hopefully he is fit to play a part if they continue to progress in the tournament,' said Adams. 'It is not a bad injury but I know Leroy will be really frustrated not to have been able to push on and play in the Mexico game. To score in a World Cup I can only imagine how he was feeling and to score such a great goal, a crucial goal for a big country is fantastic for the lad and Norwich City to have that representation on such a global stage.'
Adams has had to ration his World Cup watching as he looks to ensure the Canaries' hit the ground running.
You may also want to watch:
'I'll be honest I've not seen an awful lot of it because most of the 5pm kick offs I have been working,' he said. 'The entertainment factor is certainly there. It's probably the best World Cup because there hasn't been one nailed-on winner. Every team at different stages has looked vulnerable, a lot of sides have looked excellent and that combination has produced so much good, attacking, end-to-end football. You are getting the odd mistakes as well which are all leading to goals.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 8 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 9 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 10 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman