Norwich City boss Chris Hughton pledges to keep on spending
Chris Hughton confirmed on Friday afternoon there will be no let up in the transfer spending after officially unveiling England Under-21 starlet Nathan Redmond.
Redmond joins Ricky van Wolfswinkel as fresh additions to the Canaries' Premier League squad, and Hughton admitted City are prepared to remain active until the end of the window. PSV Eindhoven manager Philip Cocu was quoted earlier today stating Swedish international attacking midfielder Ola Toivonen is continuing to hold talks with Norwich after the Dutch club disclosed last week City had a reported £4.8m accepted for the 27-year-old.
Hughton insisted City's successful pursuit of Redmond in the face of fierce competition from their top flight rivals underlines they can compete in a tough market.
'We have got no particular number on how many more will come in. We are no different to anybody else. We won't bring in unless we feel it benefits us,' he said. 'We did well in our finishing position last season, despite a difficult couple of months towards the end. We had a decent season and our aim is to show that same stability in the league. If we can improve the squad and it is right we will. If not, we are happy where we are.
'What we have to do is accentuate the positives. There is no doubt that in certain cases it is difficult to compete with some clubs. You could say they are after a different type of player that we realistically know we can get. That is the market we are in but we are in the same bracket as a number of other clubs and we can give them an option of a team who have been in the Premier League for a couple of seasons. We are able to give them a club that is not a stranger to the top division, historically, and in a wonderful part of the country to live. For most quality players it is about playing at the top level.'
You may also want to watch:
Hughton reiterated City will bide their time for the right additions, with next week's Austrian training camp followed by a three-date tour of the US.
'The target is always to bring in players as soon as possible to integrate them into the squad,' he said. 'If you look across the Premier League some have done good business, others have hardly done any. It really is about using the period of time you are allowed in the best way. That means we are allowed until the end of August but I want to stress again it is about adding to what we have and we are happy with what we have here already. If we can do it earlier, then great.'
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
Hughton also made it clear Norwich are not interested in offloading their best players with persistent speculation around the futures of John Ruddy and Grant Holt. Hughton had a simple response when questioned if the club had received a firm bid for either.
'No, and probably if there was I wouldn't say it. The best way is to conduct business behind closed doors,' he said. 'You see we have been able to present Ricky and Nathan as done deals this week and that is fact. Around those sort of transfers there is only a small fraction of what you hear that is actually fact. By far the vast majority is very much speculation.
'If there has been interest in our players then that is a plus as far as I am concerned because we must be doing something right. I think if there is speculation regarding players we want to bring in it indicates we are attempting to do some work. Some of those names will come into the public domain, the majority will not.'
Jed Steer and James Vaughan have left Carrow Road in recent days. Hughton confirmed City are now in the market for a third senior keeper following Steer's surprise departure to Aston Villa.
'Yes, I was sad to see him go,' said Hughton. 'We did offer him a contract but we all know that is the nature of the game. You can do your best that you can but ultimately it is down to the players. I was disappointed to lose Jed but what we have managed to do is get Declan (Rudd) out on a season-long loan, which will be great for him and his development. We expect him to come back a better keeper. Yes, we are in the market for a third keeper and that will give us three senior boys here.
'Perhaps with James it's a good move for all parties. I think we are really pleased for James that he had a relatively injury-free season. He felt very at home at Huddersfield and he has got back perhaps to the level he was at before with the number of games. He had played minimal games the season before so I think it is good business for both parties.'