Norwich City and Lowestoft Town aim to thrash out a solution to Micky Chapman testimonial wash out
- Credit: James Bass
Norwich City and Lowestoft Town will hold discussions to try and make up for Micky Chapman's testimonial wash out.
The Canaries' first scheduled public pre-season appearance was canned on Tuesday following torrential downpours that left the Crown Meadow surface unplayable. City chief Alex Neil was unwilling to risk his stars on a night set to mark Chapman's loyal service to the Trawlerboys.Norwich's interim chief executive Steve Stone and director Tom Smith were in attendance, and Blues chairman Gary Keyzor revealed both clubs are keen to thrash out a solution after a number of charities, along with the Ryman League Premier club, missed out on a potential windfall.
He said: 'For Micky's sake, I hope Norwich can come back and we can organise something. I think they are going to do their utmost and speak to Chappo, speak to the club and to Alex Neil and hopefully over the next few days we can fit something in. I am sure they will want to come back. A couple of their directors were present and they said they will have a chat over these next few days and then come back to us and see if we can address the situation. I went to Gorleston last season, when Norwich played there, and they had about 2,000 fans, albeit it was on a Saturday. It gives the local clubs such a boost.'
Chapman has given his full backing to any bid to resurrect the Lowestoft stalwart's big event.
'I am sure they will do whatever they can,' he said.
'I was speaking to a committee man after the game was called off and he said he was going to have a meeting with Norwich's acting chief executive and Alex Neil to see what they can do. I know they have to consider themselves first but it is in their hands and I am sure they will do whatever they can to honour the fixture at some point.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 10 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners